Learn to Play Magic
New players can stop by in store any time to pick up a FREE Welcome Deck to get them started with Magic!
Find helpful tips here as well as the link to download the FREE game Magic Duels. The game takes you through a great tutorial which can help you learn how to play Magic: The Gathering and teaches you all the most important terms that you will need to know.
Also available to help make the drafting process more clear, check out the Booster Draft Simulator tool from the Magic: The Gathering website - the cards may be different, but the idea is still the same!
The Standard format uses the most recently released Magic sets. The following card sets are permitted in the Standard format:
- Core Set 2019
- Rivals of Ixalan
- Hour of Devastation
- Aether Revolt
- M17 & M19 Welcome Decks
Standard Deck Requirements
Standard is a constructed format, so the normal constructed rules apply:
- Minimum of 60 cards
- No maximum deck size, as long as you can shuffle your deck unassisted
- Up to fifteen cards in your sideboard, if used
- No More than 4 of any individual card in your main deck and sideboard combined (with the exception of basic lands)
At the start of booster draft, each player opens a booster pack and picks a single card. Then everyone passes the rest of their pack to player on their left, each player then picks a card from the pack they just received before passing again. This process continues until all the cards in those packs have been drafted. Then each player opens a second pack, but this time, you pass the pack to your right. After all those cards are drafted, you do the same with the third pack, passing to the left again.
Draft Deck Requirements
Once all the packs have been drafted, everyone builds a deck from the cards they have selected.
- Minimum of 40 cards
- No maximum deck size
- The unused cards you drafted count as your sideboard
- You may play as many copies as you drafted of any single card
- Add as many basic lands to your deck as you’d like.